Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New Curtains

Two years ago we replaced our huge living room window with two regular sized double hung windows. We, and by "we" I mean my father-in-law and husband, put thick oak trim around the windows and added a shelf right below the windows. I think the shelf was intended for plants and various knick knacks, but the kids use it as more of a diving board.

When we replaced the windows, I did not replace the floor length curtains. This wasn't a big issue until we rearranged the living room and put the couch under the windows. Now when we close the curtains, they hang on the back of the couch. Annoying.

I looked online a bit for new curtains and decided that I am way too cheap to spend money on something I will have to alter to make work. All of the shorter curtains were too country bumpkin-ish for me. I was staring at my sewing machine and trying to come up with a solution when I remembered a huge piece of fabric I've been saving. I've had this fabric since college and it is absolutely perfect for my living room windows. It's from India and is red, black, tan and yellow. It's flowery without being obnoxious and will go great with our eclectic style.

My plan is to cut our current curtains in half vertically and to the correct length and use the Indian fabric as a sort of trim. I don't have it all figured out yet, but I know it will be fabulous.

No comments: