Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Peach Butter

This is my first attempt at canning. I've always been worried about botulism and killing my family so I usually leave the canning to my husband. That way if we all get sick, I know who to blame. 
I am very proud of my peach butter. All of the lids are sealed and I followed the directions to a "t", which is no easy feat for me. I tend to look at directions and then change several things to make it better. 
I soaked the peaches in water and lemon juice for a bit because my youngest had an afternoon meltdown and canning had to be put on hold. I saved the peach water, boiled the discarded skins and trimmings, added some sugar and was left with a delicious peach juice. I made it even better by adding   some mint. 
We have yet to eat some of the canned peach butter, but I am almost confident that it won't make us sick. If you don't hear from me in awhile you can probably assume we ate the butter and it didn't go over so well. 



No comments: