Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chicken and Noodles

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday.

Chicken and noodles is a favorite around here. It's not the healthiest thing, but it is comfort for the soul. And tasty.

For the stock:
I put a whole chicken in a stock pot or dutch oven, fill will water, cover and bake for about three hours. I take the meat off the bone and then put the bones and skin back into the pot, fill with water and bake for another three hours. This usually produces 6+ quarts of broth.

For the noodles:
Generally speaking, I use one egg per person. We love leftovers so I always use seven eggs for my family of 5 (one nursling). Crack your eggs into a large bowl or mixer bowl. I use my Kitchen Aid for this, however, it is completely uneccessary. Add flour until you can't add anymore. Plop dough onto floured surface. Continue to mix in flour until you can't add anymore. Now it's time to roll.

Roll dough into desired thickness. I like thin noodles so I usually divide my dough in half and roll out one half at a time. When the dough has been rolled out, roll it up like you would with cinnamon rolls. Cut and unroll. Add to boiling broth and cook for 20 minutes. Or you can place uncooked noodles on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen put in a freezer bag and save for soup, beef and noodles, chicken and noodles, etc.

Rolled out dough. This is only two eggs and is very thin. 
Dough rolled cinnamon style and ready for cutting.
This is everyone's favorite part of noodle making.

This is chicken and noodle soup. Yum. 

1 comment:

Christy said...

I love your directions - just add until you can add no more LOL! You are obviously an experienced cook!