Friday, October 15, 2010

How to Eat on a Budget: Meat and Gardening

We buy beef and pork that has been raised locally. We do this for two reasons: it's cheaper in the long run and better for our family. I also think it's wonderful to support local farmers and know exactly where my food is coming from. I love being able to go out to the freezer, pull out any kind of meat and not have to worry about paying for meat at the grocery store. This helps tremendously when I make meals for the freezer or cook for a lot of people.

Gardening is another way we supplement what we buy at the store. We have had a garden for several years and learn something new each year. I already have a plan in mind for next year. I love having a garden and my kids love having a garden. I have no idea if our sugar snap peas were successful this year because every time I saw my daughter outside she had a mouthful of peas. I think we had a lot, but none of them ever made it into the house or onto the table. I plan my spring/summer/fall meals according to what we have harvested from our garden.

No comments: