Monday, October 11, 2010

How to Eat on a Budget: Stocking the Pantry

Nourishing my family with good food is one of my priorities. Doing it on a budget is another. The first part of eating like kings, but within a budget, is how to stock your pantry. Here's what I always keep in the cupboard (or freezer):

coconut oil
olive oil
sesame oil
rice vinegar
balsamic vinegar
white wine
red wine
soy sauce
worcheshire
apple cider vinegar
chicken broth
black beans
lard (although I'm out right now)
honey
maple syrup
sugar
flour
cocoa
chocolate chips
powdered sugar (I didn't say it was all going to be healthy. I like frosting.)
baking soda
baking powder
white vinegar
brown sugar
molasses
tomato sauce
pasta
rice
butter

I know that my list is probably very different from someone else's list, but if you're new to budgeting for groceries this is a good start. Just pay attention to the things you use the most and always make sure you have them in the cupboard. Once you stock up on your basics, you can fill in according to what is one sale.

No comments: