Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday 11/22

Today we started learning about pictographs, our sense of sight and the continents. Finn's theme this week is G is for gummy bears and gumballs. I have decided to include Finn in all of the stuff for Maeve (if he's interested) and vice versa.

We started off by reviewing all of the letters we've covered so far. We played a game where we said "I went to the grocery store and I bought a ___" We started with the letter a. By the time we got to g, the kids were having fun with the game and said they went to the grocery store to buy a Giganotosaurus (a therapod, by the way).

Then we moved on to our science experiment. We made predictions on what will happen when gummy bears are placed in a cup of water overnight. We measured the length and width of the bears and traced them. Finn predicted the bears will sink. Maeve predicted that they'll get smaller and squishy. I predict the kids will want to eat the gummy bears for breakfast.

I found a site that did a lesson on picture graphs. The kids really liked it and were excited to graph. We made a list of eye colors (Maeve also included red and white, although surprisingly no one in our family has those eye colors) and Maeve put tally marks next to each color to correspond with everyone in our extended family. Tomorrow she will color in the eyes we printed off and graph them on the wall.

We talked about our sense of sight. We collected lots of color samples from Lowe's, grouped them by color and put them in order from darkest to lightest. I was going to have them walk around with their eyes closed, but they were nutso today and I didn't want to add fuel to the fire.

I showed the kids a map of the world. I had Maeve point to the biggest and smallest continents and the continent we live on. We also did the continent clap, which Finnegan loved and asked to do five times.

I am too lazy right now to find links, but if you ask I will post them.

No comments: