Monday, March 7, 2011

Pizza

Preheat your oven to 450 or 500. I usually bake it at 450, but sometimes I like to test the smoke detector.

Dough:
2 C flour
1 tsp yeast
3/4 C flour
pinch of salt

Combine yeast and lukewarm water. Stir. Pour over flour and knead until you have a dough that is not sticky. It sort of feels like a baby's butt if you need a comparison. I sometimes need to add an extra few teaspoons of water. I mix everything with the dough hook in my Kitchen Aid.

Grease your pizza pan with lard. Yum. If you use olive oil, you will have a very crispy crust. Olive oil is not recommended for high temperatures and this is going to be hot. Poke holes in the crust.

Sauce:
My sauce never tastes the same. I use canned tomato sauce and generally add lots of basil, parsley, a bay leaf, garlic and sometimes red wine. I cook this for maybe 30-45 min and usually make a huge batch and freeze it in pint sized canning jars. I use one pint per pizza.

The sky's the limit with toppings and your cook time will vary based on what you put on your pizza. My kids like cheese and hamburger. I love broccoli. I never pre-bake the crust. I just pile on the sauce, toppings and cheese and put it in the oven until the crust is golden and the cheese is good and melted.

No comments: