Friday, May 6, 2011

Homeschool Stuff

We took off most of the month of April because the kids were sick for three weeks. Three very long weeks.

Maeve said she wanted to learn about dogs so we've been working on a dog lapbook. The kids have also been working on math and phonics this week. Both kids seem to really like Singapore Math and liked it even more this week when I let them use Unifix cubes. It was almost better than candy.

Finnegan is funny because his math skills far exceed his writing skills. He is much better at just telling me the answers than writing them. It takes a great deal of focus for him to write letters in his Explode the Code workbook, but he does a great job.

Maeve has been working through quite a few pages in her Explode the Code books. For some reason, she has it in her head that she can't read or write in lower case. She completes everything exceptionally well if I pretend one of the boys needs something and walk away. She can read, but I think is afraid of getting it wrong. I also think she's lazy and just doesn't want to put forth the effort it takes to read to me. A few weeks ago I caught her reading Hop on Pop to Finnegan. It was cute.

Oren has been able to keep busy while I help the other two with their work. I've been giving him a dry erase board and markers and he loves writing and erasing. I think he also likes having his own work space. He's not interested in many fine motor skill type things, but does like to sort, fill and dump.

I have a good idea of how I want things to function for next school year, although I do plan to school throughout the summer. I think we'll probably do school for three weeks and take a week off, as that seems to be the limit for all of us. We will also take off the entire month of August so I can clean out the office and make things new and exciting again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

writing is definitely W's weak spot, too. He's just impatient, I think. And I have cleaning out the HS room on my calendar for August, too, but I'm not sure I'll be able to wait that long, lol.