Sunday, May 29, 2011

They're ALIVE!

I've been hesitant to announce this for fear of jinxing us, but we have 10 living bunnies! Flower waited until the last possible moment to build her nest and again had no interest in using a nest box. I let her build her nest on the wire and then moved it into the nest box after she had everyone settled and cleaned. Flower pulled a sufficient amount of fur and I witnessed her nursing her kits, which I thought was neat.

The kits are five days old and have peach fuzz type hair. They are all white and are starting to get pointy rabbit ears that I think are adorable. I am going to give Flower a bit of time to recover since she was bred shortly after losing her last litter. In the future, my plan is to breed her six weeks after she kindles (gives birth), wean to butcher the kits at eight weeks and then Flower will have another litter two weeks later.

No comments: