Saturday, January 11, 2014

Mortality

I moved everything over to Wordpress and then stopped blogging. I like this format better so here I am.

I never had to deal with death as a child. I was not allowed to attend my great grandparents' funerals and death was never discussed. My husband's grandmother recently passed away and while it wasn't sudden, it has reminded me of my own mortality.

I am aging. My forehead is wrinkly. I have laugh lines. I turn 35 this  year. I don't feel old and my body still moves like I need it to move. I am healthy, but I will die someday and I need to come to terms with this. I am hopeful that I will live to be in my 90s, but what if I don't?

What will I do when my parents die? When my in laws die? How does someone handle the death of a loved one?

Thinking about all of this makes me sad and gives me anxiety, but it seems silly to mourn people who aren't dead. Life is a celebration and should be full of love and joy.

Our family verse for the year is 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this because it's late and I'm tired, but what I do know is that I'm going to do my best to find joy in everyday and show my love to others to the best of my ability. I want to live the rest of my life with no regrets.


No comments: