Monday, July 14, 2014

2014-2015 School Year

It's that time of the year again when I start to obsessively comb the internet for new homeschooling books and ideas. I'm switching things up just a little, but our year will look similar to last year.

Singapore math: I'm giving the kids until the end of Aug to finish the current book and am hopeful we'll be able to start 3A the first part of Sept.

Story of Our World: We're still working through the first book about ancient times. I'm going to try to pick up the pace so we can finished by the end of 2014 and start on the next book..

Noeo Science Chemistry: This is new for the year. I tried Apologia and hated it. The kids didn't mind it too much, but there weren't any colorful pictures and I thought the textbook was dry and the activities were lame. Noeo looks awesome and combines classical and Charlotte Mason types of learning/teaching. I'm looking forward to chemistry because we've studied animals since the beginning of time.

Easy Peasy for English: I need a bit more direction teaching the kids grammar (they hate Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind) and literature so we're doing Easy Peasy for the year. It's free and mostly online so I don't have to teach it. This should give me time to work with the younger kids while the olders are working independently.Maeve still dislikes reading, but loves being read to so I'm hopeful this will be a good compromise.

Handwriting Without Tears: My kids like it and I like that I don't have to do anything except check work.

I bought Sonlight language arts for Oren because I think he's ready to be more included in our schooling. Tillie will do Montessori type stuff and probably drive everyone crazy.

No comments: