Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Revolutionizing Way to do Laundry

Laundry is not my friend. However, it is a necessary evil and we must learn to co-exist. A friend and relative recently shared with me how she does laundry. It's so simple and yet life changing.

She does a load of laundry in the morning and a load at night. Each person has their own shelf for clothes. When the shelves are full, everyone takes their piles to their rooms. All things that are on hangers are hung coming out of the dryer. That's it!

I've been needing to clean out and organize the laundry room for awhile now and finally did so a couple of days ago. I was able to clear off two shelves that are about five feet long. The top shelf belongs to hubby and me, while the bottom shelf belongs to the kids. The bottom shelf is high enough off of the floor so that I can hang all of the kids' shirts on it and they can still reach everything. I have a card table set up next to the stacked laundry machines. I'm going to keep a basket for socks on the table and use the table for folding clothes. Above the table is wooden pole/bar where I can hang stuff. The kids are super excited about having their own space for clothes and Maeve has even colored coded her hangers. I always end up taking kid clothes out of the laundry room anyway and now they will actually be organized.

Today was day seven of my new laundry system and it works beautifully. I'm not stressed about doing two loads a day because it is completely manageable and doesn't take much time. I don't have heaping piles of clothes everywhere and I can finally access everything in the laundry room. I don't like laundry, but I might be able to keep up with it now that I have a plan.

No comments: