Saturday, September 18, 2010

What We've Been Doing

The weather is cooler (finally!!) so we've been spending a lot of time outside. We've been bull frogging which consists of walking to the pond by our house, getting out a small bucket and toy fishing pole, spotting bull frogs and sticking the fishing pole in the water to see if a frog will bite it. Of course we don't have a real hook or a container for the frog so I am always happy to say "oops, he got away again". 

We have been on several walks collecting various things that remind us of fall. The kids have gathered a lot of seeds, a pumpkin, a squash, pine cones and a basket full of acorns. They put all of their found objects on our seasonal shelf and enjoy touching everything throughout the day. 

I cut up a white sheet and diluted acrylic paint so the kids could paint on the pieces of fabric. Some of the pieces were turned into skirts and some of the pieces were made into bedtime bags. The bedtime bags have a pocket on the front, handles and will be filled with new pjs and books and be given to the kids for Christmas. Finn actually got into this painting project and worked very hard on his fabric. I can't wait to have him see his completed bag. 

We've been studying reptiles and learning about various habitats. We've covered every reptile except the turtle. We've played Go Fish using reptile cards I printed on card stock. We made a dinosaur timeline and a dinosaur play dough village. We created a habitat for our new lizard and have learned about what he eats. Maeve noticed that Lizard Lemon shed his skin today and that was neat to have seen. 

Finn has loved playing games lately. We've played Sorry several times, have done puzzles (he did at least half of a 100 piece puzzle by himself!), played Go Fish with regular cards and have played some other games that I can't recall this moment. 

Oren has been Oren. He has learned how quickly the dog will take food out of his hand when it's offered, how many pieces of dog food he can shove into his mouth before I notice, how high he can climb before it's not funny anymore and that even if he holds his breath and turns purple I'm still not going to pick him up when I have a scalding hot pan in my hand. On the flip side, he has also learned that I will always come to his rescue, I know what he means when he says "ma" very seriously and that I love him enough to attack him with kisses several times a day. 

1 comment:

Abby said...

Were the reptile cards a free pdf somewhere? Sounds like a game the hooligans out here would like, as well. They have been very into games here lately, too. Operation is the current winner. I am glad I am not on that operating table, though :) Sheesh.