Monday, November 15, 2010

The Best Caramel Popcorn EVER

14 C popped popcorn (I pop mine in lard on the stove)
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C butter
1/4 C corn syrup
1/4 C molasses
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger (I omitted this because I'm not a fan of ginger)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix butter, sugar, corn syrup, molasses, salt and cinnamon in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil without stirring for 5 min. I didn't follow this part of the directions. I stirred and let it boil for maybe 3 min. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over popped pop corn, mix well and spread onto a pan or cooking sheet. I did not grease the cookie sheet. The original directions said to bake for 1 hour and stir every 10 min. The popcorn was taunting me from inside the oven so I baked it for 25 min and stirred it twice. It turned out fine, came right off the pan, and was crunchy and delicious. Store in an air tight container if you don't eat all of it like we did.

I found this recipe in the latest issue of Taste of Home magazine.

No comments: